Dance is core to academic growth and central to the education of every student.
Dance education allows students to:
- develop the capacity for creative, expressive movement;
- demonstrate the necessity and positive results of expression through movement; and
- understand their own culture and the role of dance in their own and other’s lives.
Through Dance Education, students learn the meaning and value of creativity and innovation by:
- demonstrating originality and inventiveness in work and being open and responsive to new and diverse perspectives;
- developing, implementing, and communicating new ideas to others through creative movement; and
- acting on creative ideas to make a tangible and useful contribution to the domain in which innovation occurs.
Through Dance Education, students obtain critical thinking skills that shape their efforts and affect their personal value choices by:
- exercising sound reasoning in understanding and making complex choices and decisions;
- understanding the interconnections among systems; identifying and asking significant questions that clarify various points of view and lead to better solutions; and
- framing, analyzing, and synthesizing information in order to solve problems and answer questions.
Through Dance Education, students learn to communication through creative movement by articulating thoughts and ideas clearly through more than written and spoken word.
Dance Education prepares students for success in school, work, and life:
- strengthening LITERACY as Dance is an essential language;
- developing a GLOBALLY COMPETITIVE workforce since Dance develops essential skills for global competitiveness in the 21st century; and
- nurturing ENGAGED LEARNERS for Dance promotes healthy living and active learners.