Application for KESA Regulation Waiver
K.A.R. 91-31-42 --- WAIVER
(a) Any education system may request a waiver from one or more accreditation requirements imposed by the state board. Each request for a waiver shall meet the following requirements:
(1) The education system shall submit the request, in writing, to the commissioner.
(2) The chief administrative officer of the education system shall sign the request. If the request is made by a public education system, both the superintendent and the president of the governing body shall sign the request.
(3) In the request, the education system shall state each specific requirement for which the education system is requesting a waiver and shall indicate how the granting of the waiver would enhance improvement in the education system.
(b) Within 30 days after the receipt of a request for a waiver, a recommendation shall be made by the commissioner to the state board either to grant or to deny the request. The commissioner may consider information in addition to that which is provided in the request.
(c) The request and the recommendation from the commissioner shall be considered by the state board, and the final decision on whether to grant or deny the request shall be made by the state board.
(Authorized by and implementing Article 6, Section 2(a) of the Kansas Constitution and K.S.A. 2019 Supp. 72-5170; effective July 1, 2005; amended Oct. 8, 2021.)
SCHOOL'S PROCESS FOR MAKING A WAIVER APPLICATION
1. School principal/head of school must complete the online application-for-waiver form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KSaccreditationwaiver.
2. School principal/head of school must send an email to email@example.com to achieve KSDE staff awareness and approval of application for waiver.
KSDE/SIA TEAM PROCESS FOR HANDLING A WAIVER REQUEST
1. KSDE accreditation staff will verify superintendent and BOE president approval.
2. A communication is sent to the requesting school acknowledging KSDE's receipt of the waiver application and providing the expected date for when the waiver request will be on the State Board’s action agenda. (In the review process, should additional clarifying information be needed from the school, this expected date could change.)
3. Accreditation staff reviews the application for completeness and consults with KSDE legal staff and other KSDE staff as necessary to make a determination of whether or not a waiver is required in order to proceed with the described program.
4. If additional information is needed, the waiver application is sent back to the school.
5. Within 30 days after the receipt of the request for waiver, or after receipt of the clarifying information, the Commissioner of Education is to make a recommendation to the State Board to either grant or deny the request. This is accomplished through initiating an electronic submission of KSBE materials (i.e. the "Request and Recommendation for Board Action" form.)
6. The Kansas State Board of Education makes the final decision on whether to grant or deny the request for waiver.
7. The school (principal) receives written notification of the action taken by the KSBE on the waiver request. The school's USD superintendent is cc'd on this notification.
A SUCCESSFUL KANSAS HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE has the academic preparation, cognitive preparation, technical skills, employability skills, and civic engagement to be successful in postsecondary education, in the attainment of an industry recognized certification, or in the workforce without the need for remediation.”
Adopted by the Kansas State Board of Education, January 2016
Director of Accreditation and Design
Northeast Regional Executive
Northwest Regional Executive
Southeast Regional Executive
Southwest Regional Executive
If you would like to subscribe to the KESA Listserv, simply email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can learn about how to use the listserv here!
Teacher Licensure Home
Accreditation K-12 Home
Schools/Districts Report Card
Directory Report Generator
Accrediting Agencies for Tax Credit Scholarship
The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)
To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at email@example.com or by 785-296-3204.