Kansas State Department of Education

KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

CDL Information for KS School Bus Drivers

A class A or B, CDL is required for an activity/school bus with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more and/or rated for passenger capacity of 16 or more, including the driver. A class A, B, or C, CDL is required for activity/school buses with a gross weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less and/or rated for a passenger capacity of 16 or more, including the driver. An activity/school bus rated for less than 16 passengers, (14 passengers + the driver) and has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,000 pounds is not required a CDL. These individuals are required a valid regular DL. The School/Contractor is required to have a copy of the license on file for anyone driving a activity/school bus or school passenger vehicle.

A "P" and "S" endorsement is required on a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) for the operation of both an activity buses and school buses.  To obtain the endorsement you will have to pass a "P" and "S" endorsement knowledge test and a road test in a school bus representative of the type of school bus you will be driving.  If you don't already have the "P" endorsement, you will have to pass the "P" endorsement knowledge test. 

Kansas Department of Revenue Driver Control maintains driving records and processess changes to driving privileges such as restrictions, suspensions, revoked licenses and reinstated licenses.  Driver Control can assist you with the following regarding Kansas drivers' licenses or driving records:

  • Address Change Online
  • Copies of Driving Records Online
  • Forms Online
  • Frequently asked questions on moving violations, convictions, accidents or proof of insurance
  • How to read and view Kansas Driving Records
  • Information on ignition interlock devices
  • Click on the link below for more information and individual web links

Kansas Department of Revenue

Free Kansas Department of Revenue Drivers License/CDL status check website

Medical Self-Certification Changes  Kansas Department of Revenue on-line Certification Form

Kansas Commercial Drivers License Manual posted on the Kansas Department of Revenue website
Kansas CDL Manual (PDF)

Classes of CDL, Endorsements and Restrictions (PDF)

Kansas Department of Revenue
Licenses Website

14 Passenger Bus Document (PDF)

Commercial Learners Permit (CLP)

After an individual passes the written test for a CDL and or the S endorsement, the individual is issued a Commercial Learners Permit (CLP). A mandated 14 day waiing period per federal law (49 CFR 383.25) is required prior to scheduling the skills test for the CDL and or S endorsement. This same federal law prohibits a CLP holder from transporting students prior to obtaining his or her CDL.

49 CFR 383.25

Commercial Driver's License Skills Testing Offices

Medical Self-Certification

Medical Certification is part of the CDL, any person applying for a CDL on or after January 30, 2012 must certify with the State's Driver's License Agency to one of four categories:

  1. Non-excepted interstate. I certify that I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, and I am both subject to and meet the qualification requirements under 49 CFR part 391, and I am required to obtain a medical examiner's certificate by 49 CFR §391.45.
  2. Excepted interstate. I certify that I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, but engage exclusively in transportation or operations excepted under 49 CFR §§390.3(f), 391.2, 391.68 or 398.3 from all or parts of the qualification requirements of 49 CFR part 391, and I am therefore not required to obtain a medical examiner’s certificate by 49 CFR §391.45.
  3. Non-excepted intrastate. I certify that I operate only in intrastate commerce and therefore I am subject to and meet the State’s driver medical qualification requirements.
  4. Excepted intrastate. I certify that I operate in intrastate commerce, but engage exclusively in transportation or operations excepted from all or parts of the State’s driver medical qualification by K.S.A. 66-1,129.
  • CDL holders or employers can check  medical self-certification & CDL status for no charge using the Kansas Driver's License Status Check website. 
    Kansas Driver's License Status Check
  • A driver can change from a category 1 to a category 2 or vice versa at any time by using the on-line or paper form.
  • The Kansas Department of Revenue advises after your initial self-certification you will have to recertify when:

    1.       Anytime you change categories.

    2.       Anytime you renew your CDL.

    3.       Anytime you upgrade your CDL class. (go from a class B to a class A)

    4.       Anytime you add endorsements to your CDL

    5.       Anytime your medical card expires if you are a category 1.

    It is important for CDL holders to understand & know their medical self-certification category and check their status on-line at least annually.

You may certify or change your certification anytime provided your CDL status is valid using the Kansas Department of Revenue on-line certification form.
Kansas Department of Revenue on-line Certification Form

You may also certify using a paper form http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/cdl_med_cert.pdf 
and mailing or faxing to:

Driver Licensing
Attn: Medical Certification
P.O. Box 2188
Topeka, KS 66601
Fax: 785-296-5859
Email  kdor_medical.certification@ks.gov  

Click on links below for more information:

Frequently Asked Questions About Medical Self Certification
(Kansas Department of Revenue)

Entry Level Training

A final rule on minimum entry-level CDL training requirements was issued in December 2016 by the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration). The effective date of the final rule is June 5, 2017 with the compliance date at this time being Feb. 7, 2020.

ELDT (Entry Level Driver Training) revises the mandatory training requirements for entry-level operators of commercial motor vehicles including school buses who are required to possess a Class A or Class B CDL (Commercial Driver's License) or a hazardous materials (H), passenger (P), or school bus (S) endorsement for their license for the first time. 

Follow this link to view frequently asked questions from FMCSA regarding ELT (Entry Level Training).


KSDE ELDT Basics Overview (PDF)

Alcohol & Drug Testing Information

When accepting job applications for prospective school bus drivers your job application should include a 10 year prior history and you must check the person’s CDL drug and alcohol testing history with any previous employer (required to do testing) who employed the person during the previous three years. (49 CRF 382.413)

Per KAR 91-38-6, a governing body shall not employ or retain to transport students any person who discloses or whose driving record indicates that, within the past 10 years, the person has been convicted of DUI.

The school district must get the prospective employee’s written consent to seek the information from these employers. The person must list all previous and current employers within the last two years. If the person doesn’t list previous employers or refuses to sign the consent form, you cannot allow the person drive for you. The consent must be a specific release authorizing the new employer to receive testing information from a specific former or current employer about a specific employee. A separate release form for each past employer in the previous two years is required.

Sample Consent for Alcohol and Drug Testing  (May be printed on School District Letterhead)

If the prospective employee has had a failure of an alcohol and or drug test AT ANY TIME in the past the prospective employee is not eligible to drive a school bus until this individual completes a SAP (Substance Abuse Program) return-to-duty requirements in 49 CFR Part 40.

After successfully completing the SAP requirements, the employee may be eligible to return to driving a school bus. But, before an employer can return the person to driving a school bus, a SAP must determine that the employee successfully complied with the recommended treatment and education. The employee must then have a return-to-duty test and the test result must be negative.

The SAP will also develop the employee’s follow-up testing plan – outlining for the employer the number and frequency of follow-up testing that will take place.

You are then responsible for ensuring that the employee is tested according to the SAP’s follow-up plan. These tests can be for drugs or alcohol or both.

The SAP must direct at least 6 follow-up tests in the first 12 months after the person returns safety-sensitive duties. However, the SAP can direct more tests and may extend them for up to five years.

School Bus Contract Providers should be aware of their requirements under FMCSRs (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations).

Your alcohol and drug testing contract provider (if you are using one) should be able to help you locate a SAP provider.

School Districts are not exempt the requirements of Alcohol and Drug Testing as set forth in 49 CFR Part 40.

What Employers Need To Know About DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing (PDF) Guidance and Best Practices published by
the  U.S. Department of Transportation

School Bus Safety Director
Keith Dreiling
785-296-6659 (fax)

School Bus Safety Assistant Director
Dennis Tate

School Bus Training Coordinator 
Melissa Ostermeyer

Senior Administrative Assistant
Annette Blevins

Upcoming Events

Copyright 2018 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)
The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)