Kansas State Department of Education KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

Home Schooling in Kansas General Information

What you need to know

Unlike some states, Kansas does not specifically authorize "home instruction" or "home schooling" by state statute. However, Kansas does recognize Nonaccredited Private Schools.
A nonaccredited elementary or secondary private school is one that satisfies the state's compulsory school attendance laws, but which is not accredited by the state board of education.
Compulsory school attendance laws apply to children who have reached the age of 7 and those who are under 18 years of age (may be under 7 for children identified as handicapped).  Every parent or guardian of children in that age group must require such children to attend a public, private, denominational, or parochial school for the duration of the school term.
Nonaccredited schools are not required to employ teachers who are certified by the state, but their courses must be taught by competent instructors, and they must hold classes for a period of time which is substantially equivalent to the time public schools are in session in the area in which the nonaccredited school is located (at least 186 days of not less than 6 hours per day, or 1116 hours per year for grades 1-11).
Nonaccredited private schools are required by law to register the name and address of the private elementary or secondary school with the state board of education. Registration consists of completing a form provided by the state showing the name and address of the school and the name and address of the official custodian of the school's records. The act of completing the registration form does not mean the nonaccredited school has been "approved" by the state board of education as a "school" that satisfies the compulsory school attendance law.
No fee is charged for registration of a nonaccredited school.
When a student transfers to a nonaccredited school, the school previously attended must be notified by the parent/guardian that the student is changing schools. If a student simply stops coming to school, the school is required by law to report the student as truant.
It is in the best interest of students attending nonaccredited schools that accurate and complete records of their progress be kept. These records will be needed if the student transfers to a public or an accredited school, or applies for admission to a college or university.
If a student transfers from a nonaccredited school to an accredited school, the accredited school is not required to accept the transfer of credit. The accredited school may find it necessary to test the student in order to make a decision regarding the transfer of credit.
Private schools are responsible for acquiring their own books and curriculum materials. Books may be purchased from private organizations, checked out though the public library, or rented from the public school with district approval. The public school is under no obligation to make books and materials available to students attending other schools.
No books, curriculum materials, guidelines, or technical assistance on curriculum development are available from the State Department of Education for nonaccredited schools.
Private schools, including nonaccredited schools issue their own high school diplomas. The state does not issue diplomas.
Colleges and universities determine their own criteria for admission of students who graduate from a nonaccredited school.


Program questions or
problems with registering:

Tammy Lutze

Problems with this page contact:
Evelyn Alden

Copyright 2016 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)
The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)