Kansas State Department of Education

KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

Categorical Aid Reimbursement

The purpose of state special education funding (K.S.A 72-3422 ) is to supplement 92% of the excess cost incurred by local education agencies (LEA) for the provision of special education and related services to eligible students. However the Kansas Legislature has not provided sufficient funding to meet this requirement. LEA’s must transfer additional amounts, as necessary, from the General Funds in order to cover remaining costs of special education.

Reimbursement Guide
Licensure Information for Categorical Aid Reimbursement
Categorical Aid Personnel System (CAPS)
Catastrophic Aid
Non-Public Equivalency Contracts-Special Teacher Reimbursement
Vacancy Reports
Special Education Attrition Report

Transportation Reimbursement

Fiscal Guidelines and Manuals Page
     Form 308 Instructions (PDF) Special Education Transportation

Licensure requirement for Categorical Aid Reimbursement


Educational Interpreter Prof Dev Plan (Word) / (PDF) Send (scan/email) to Evelyn when complete
Hand Approval Request (fillable PDF) Email to Evelyn when complete
   Hand Approval Request for Special Education Administrators (fillable PDF) Email to Evelyn when complete

KSDE Information:

KSDE Endorsements/Categorical Aid Chart (PDF)
Types of Teaching Licenses for Waivers and Substitutes (PDF)
Waivers and Provisionals Tip Sheet (PDF)
Which Kansas License works in which Early Childhood Education Setting for Categorical Aid? (PDF)
Waiver Information page (Teacher Education/Licensure)
KSDE License Lookup
     Reading the KSDE License Lookup Tip Sheet (PDF)

Interpreter Information:

KSDE Interpreter Resources (Sensory Losses Page)
Educational Interpreter Prof Dev Plan (Word) / (PDF) Send (scan/email) to Evelyn when complete
Interpreters and Categorical Aid FAQ (PDF)
Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, contact Megan Essary (785) 368-8034 megan.essary@ks.gov
Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (Interpreters national certification) (external link)
Missouri Division of Professional Registration (Sign Language Interpreters level Advanced or Master only) (external link)

License Lookup/Information (Non-KSDE):

Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board (Social Workers/Behavior Analysts) (external link)
Kansas Board of Healing Arts (KBHA) (OT, PT) (external link)
Kansas Health Occupations Credentialing - KDADS (Speech Language, Registered Dietician, Audiologist) (external link)
    Kansas Guidelines for School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists (external PDF)
Kansas Board of Nursing (NU) (external link)

Behavior Analyst Certification Board (Behavior Analyst national certification) (external link)
Art Therapy Credentials Board (Art Therapist national certification) (external link)
Certification Board for Music Therapists (Music Therapist national certification) (external link)
Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (Orientation/Mobility national certification) (external link)

Categorical Aid Personnel System (CAPS)-Special Teacher Reimbursement

The guidelines for Categorical Aid are always found in the Reimbursement Guide, at the top of this page. You need something other than District Read Only to enter data or create ID numbers for non-KSDE licensed staff. The district special education director or superintendent will approve access.

CAPS is used for claiming reimbursement from State Categorical Aid for staff used to provide special education and related services.

Authenticated Applications - to access this and many other KSDE programs


User Guide (PDF)
     Error Checking: Errors, Discrepancies, and Substitutes (PDF)

File Specs:

Staff ID File Upload Specifications (PDF)
Staff ID Blank upload .csv file (can open in spreadsheet, contains header row) (.csv)
Records created in CAPS can be modified by CAPS users, if a record was created by or has been modified by Teacher Licensure, the following form must be submitted to update names: Form to update KSDE licensure name or address (PDF)
Positions File Upload Specifications (PDF)
Positions Blank upload .csv file (can open in spreadsheet, contains header row) (.csv)

CAPS listserv

Information about CAPS, dates, alerts, reminders. General categorical aid information as well.
To sign up, send this information:
  Send to this address: ealden@ksde.org
  Subject line: CAPS Listserv
  Body of message: Email address, First Name, Last Name, LEA Number

For assistance or questions, please contact Evelyn Alden ealden@ksde.org, 785-296-3868

Catastrophic Aid

NPE and catastrophic aid reporting requirements are found in the Data Dictionary, instructions for NPE and catastrophic aid data entry are found in the SPEDPro User guide. Both documents may be found on the MIS and Student Data page: https://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=519

Catastrophic Aid Form (Excel)

Time and Effort Information

Non-Public Equivalency Contracts-Special Teacher Reimbursement

NPE and catastrophic aid reporting requirements are found in the Data Dictionary, instructions for NPE and catastrophic aid data entry are found in the SPEDPro User guide. Both documents may be found on the MIS and Student Data page: https://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=519

Contract FY (Word) (PDF)
Contract Revision FY (Word) / (PDF)
Formula Memo (PDF)

Vacancy Reports

To address the Special Education personnel shortage, the exact number and type of unfilled budgeted positions in the State is reported by districts.  This information is used in reports required by the Federal Government, planning by the legislature, universities and colleges, the State Board of Education, and local education agencies.

Personnel Vacancy Report by LEA (PDF)
Personnel Vacancy Report by Area (PDF)
Vacancy Report Instructions (PDF)
Kansas Education Employment Board

Special Education Attrition Report

The Kansas Special Education Attrition Report, conducted by the Kansas Education Employment Board (KEEB), is intended to determine how many special education personnel in Kansas are not returning each year. The data in this report is collected annually by KSDE for special teacher categorical aid, and is used here to identify personnel who have left the field of special education and a specific school district

Attrition Between 2016/17-17/18 (PDF)
Attrition Between 2015/16-16/17 (PDF)
Attrition Between 2014/15-15/16 (PDF)

Questions on Specific Topics:

Catastrophic Aid or Non-Public Equivalency Contracts
Mason Vosburgh

Special Teacher Reimbursement and CAPS
Evelyn Alden

Transportation Reimbursement
Sara Barnes

SETS Team Pages

Main Team Page
Special Education
Title Services
Fact Sheets
Kansas Integrated Accountability System (KIAS)
Kansas Multi-Tier System of Supports (MTSS) (external link)
Kansas’ Technical Assistance System Network (TASN) (external link)

(Kansas Residents Only)

Problems with this page contact:
Evelyn Alden

Categorical Aid Personnel System
Authenticated Applications

Questions regarding Login or Internet Browser issues?
Call the IT Help Desk at (785) 296-7935 or helpdesk@ksde.org

Reimbursement questions?
Evelyn Alden 785-296-3868

CAPS Application functionality questions?
Send a detailed e-mail to CAPS@ksde.org

Copyright 2021 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at ogc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.