KSDE Weekly

Standards and Instruction

School Bus Safety Unit offers reminder about commercial driver’s license requirement

Reminder: Anyone who drives a school bus and/or activity bus with a passenger rating of 16 or more (including the driver) and/or a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, per federal and state law, is required to have a commercial driver’s license with a school bus and passenger (P&S) endorsement. 

No one is exempt from this requirement regardless of their position or title within the district.  

Anyone who possesses a CDL and drives a school bus or activity bus for the district is subject to federally mandated drug and alcohol testing. 

Anyone who drives a school bus or activity bus is required to have a DOT physical regardless of the passenger rating or GVWR. 

For questions regarding these requirements or other bus driver legal requirements, contact the Kansas State Department of Education’s School Bus Safety Unit. 

Posted: Sep 14, 2023,
Comments: 0,
Author: Ann Bush

Theme picker

Copyright 2024 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at gc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.