Kansas State Department of Education

KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

Standard & Emergency Substitute License Requirements

Emergency Substitute License Requirements:


If this is your first emergency substitute license
Minimum requirement:  60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.  Semester credit hours and/or degrees must be earned through a college or university accredited by one of the following regional accrediting associations
  1. New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  2. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  3. The Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  4. Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
  5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  6. Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior Colleges and Schools Commision on Colleges
  7. Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  8. Association for Biblical Higher Education
CEU’s and/or Clock Hours are NOT equivalent to semester credit hours.
Your first emergency substitute license will be valid for the school year in which you apply through June 30th.Each renewal of an emergency substitute teaching license will be valid for two school years.  You can apply to renew an emergency substitute license in February of the year it expires.
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Emergency Substitute Teaching License.

Standard Substitute License Requirements:


  1. Must hold a degree and have completed a teacher preparation program in order to qualify.
  2. All applicants for an initial Kansas license must submit one fingerprint card for the purpose of a KBI and FBI background clearance report.  
  • If you are applying for an initial Substitute License, have completed a KANSAS teacher preparation program, and have never held a standard teaching license in Kansas, submit FORM 1 online.
  • To apply for an Initial Kansas Substitute License and you have completed a teacher preparation program outside of Kansas, or a Renewal of a Kansas Substitute Certificate, complete Form 5 here

Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Ready to Apply

Before you can fill-out and submit any online application, you must register a user name and password to be used for this application process.  Remember this user name and password if you want to pay electronically when it is time to pay!
Steps for completing an online application: 
  1. Click on the register button to display the KSDE User Registration Form.
  2. Follow the steps to complete the registration process.
  3. Log in with the username and password you created to see the KSDE Web Applications link.
  4. Click on "2.KLAS-Use only for Forms 2, 3a, 8 or 20" menu option to access the application form you need.
  5. Fill in the form and submit.
  6. You can monitor the progress of your application using the Educator License Lookup.
*Do not log-in with the username and password you may use to access KEEP or other KSDE authenticated applications.

Office/Building Hours:
M-F 8am - 5pm

Send all mail to:

Teacher Licensure and Accreditation
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson, Suite 102
Topeka, KS 66612

Licensure Operator 


Click here for the Teacher Licensure and Accreditation Directory



Copyright 2022 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at ogc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.