Kansas State Department of Education

KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

Emergency Substitute License Requirements

If this is your first emergency substitute license

Minimum requirement:  60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.  Semester credit hours and/or degrees must be earned through a college or university accredited by one of the following regional accrediting associations
  1. New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  2. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  3. The Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  4. Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
  5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  6. Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior Colleges and Schools Commision on Colleges
  7. Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  8. Association for Biblical Higher Education
CEU’s and/or Clock Hours are NOT equivalent to semester credit hours.
Your first emergency substitute license will be valid for the school year in which you apply through June 30th.Each renewal of an emergency substitute teaching license will be valid for two school years.  You can apply to renew an emergency substitute license in February of the year it expires.
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Emergency Substitute Teaching License.

Ready to Apply

Before you can fill-out and submit any online application, you must register a user name and password to be used for this application process.  Remember this user name and password if you want to pay electronically when it is time to pay!
Steps for completing an online application: 
  1. Click on the register button to display the KSDE User Registration Form.
  2. Follow the steps to complete the registration process.
  3. Log in with the username and password you created to see the KSDE Web Applications link.
  4. Click on "2.KLAS-Use only for Forms 2, 3a, 8 or 20" menu option to access the application form you need.
  5. Fill in the form and submit.
  6. You can monitor the progress of your application using the Educator License Lookup.
*Do not log-in with the username and password you may use to access KEEP or other KSDE authenticated applications.

Director of Teacher Licensure & Accreditation
Mischel Miller

Assistant Director Licensure
Shane Carter

For questions regarding Emergency Substitute Licenses

Myra Stithem

Christa Chesmore

Licensure Consultants

Diana Stephan


Copyright 2021 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at ogc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.