Kansas State Department of Education

KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

Substitute Teaching Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I know which substitute license I am eligible for?

If you have previously held a standard Kansas teaching license, you will want to apply for a standard substitute license. It requires completion of an approved teacher preparation program.

If you have a bachelor’s degree or coursework unrelated to education, you will want to apply for an emergency substitute teaching license.

2) What is a teacher preparation program?

A teacher preparation program is a complete (typically degree) program at a four-year college/university with courses in content, pedagogy, and a student teaching internship.

3) Can I send in my application and fingerprint card separately?

Yes. The application and fingerprint card can be mailed separately or together in the same envelope. Two separate fees are required. Please do not combine the application fee and background check fee on one personal check or money order.

4) I am applying for my first emergency substitute teaching license. How long will it be valid?

Your first emergency substitute teaching license will be valid through the current school year, expiring on June 30th.

5) Can I send my transcript directly to KSDE?

Electronic transcripts can be sent directly from the college/university to (etranscripts@ksde.org). Official paper transcripts should be mailed directly to you, leave them in the sealed envelope, and include them with the application. Paper transcripts issued to student are acceptable. A printout of an electronic transcript is unofficial and not acceptable.

6) How long will it take for the license to process?

Standard processing time for any application received is 4-8 weeks, depending on application and call volume which is highest from May-August. Applications are processed in the order received. They cannot be expedited.

7) Can I track the progress of my application?

Yes. You can track the progress of an application via the Educator License Lookup on our website by clicking here.

8) Where can I view or print my license?

You can also view and/or print your license via License Lookup on our website by clicking here.

9) How do I apply to be a substitute teacher with my local school district?

You will want to contact the school district office where you are interested in substitute teaching for employment information. Licensure does not guarantee or make you immediately eligible for employment.

10) My license expired. Do I need another fingerprint background check and background check fee?

Yes. If a license expires, a fingerprint background check and background check fee is required. To avoid a lapse in licensure, always consult the renewal requirements printed on the license and submit an application for renewal prior to expiration.

11)   Do I have to submit an application for renewal of my emergency substitute license?

Yes. Any license action requires the submission of an application and processing fee. Emergency substitute renewal applications can be submitted beginning in February of the expiration year.

12)   How long will the renewed license be valid for?

Each renewal of an emergency substitute teaching license will be valid for two school years, expiring on June 30th.

13) I hold a standard teaching license. Do I need to apply for a substitute teaching license to substitute teach?

No. You can substitute teach with a standard teaching license.

Assistant Director
Shane Carter

Licensure Consultants

Myra Stithem

Luke McClurg

Christa Chesmore

Diana Stephan

Cindy Coleman

Copyright 2021 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at ogc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.