Teacher Loan Deferment or Cancellation

If you are a teacher serving at a low-income school in a school district that qualifies for Title I funding or if you are teaching in a subject-matter shortage area, you may be eligible for student loan forgiveness or deferment. If you have a loan from the Federal Perkins Loan Program, you may be eligible for loan cancellation or deferment for full-time teaching in certain categories. Teacher Loan Cancellation and Teacher Loan Forgiveness Programs are federal programs through the U.S. Department of Education.

-- Please visit the Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Cancellation website for guidance on whether you qualify for these student loan programs for teachers. 

-- If you have questions about your student loan, please contact your student loan servicer. The Kansas Department of Education does not have access or information on your student loans.

Qualifying for Cancellation of a Perkins Loan

Teaching in a Low-Income Area

In order for a Kansas school to qualify for the loan cancellation program, the building's (not district's) total enrollment which is eligible for free/reduced price meals must be greater than 30%. If a school building is not listed on this printout (Excel), the percentage of low-income students is equal to or less than 30% and therefore, would not be eligible for this program.

Once a building is identified as a Low Income School, go to the Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory (federal website) to perform another search using the building name. This will verify that the school was accepted at the federal level and you may seek loan cancellation or deferment.  A check list is provided to get started on what steps to take to begin the process.

Qualifying for Deferment of a Federal Loan

Teaching in a Subject-Matter Shortage Area

For the 2023-24 school year, the following subjects are designated as teacher shortage areas in Kansas:

Special Education

  • Visually Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Speech Language Pathologist
  • School Counselor
  • Adaptive Physical Education
  • Sign Language Interpreter/Educational Interpreter

If you are teaching in the above subject, and want to see if you would qualify for loan deferment, a check list is provided to explain who is eligible and what steps to take to begin the process.

If you have a loan or multiple loans from the Federal Direct Loan Program or the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFEL), you may be eligible for deferment if you are teaching full-time in a teacher-shortage (subject) area.  [These loans include Federal Stafford Loans, Federal PLUS loans, Federal Consolidation Loans, and loans offered in earlier years through the Guaranteed Student Loan Program.]


Call 785-296-2020 to reach Amanda Williams at the Kansas State Department of Education for questions regarding if your school is a low income building in the state of Kansas.

Contact your Student Loan Servicer for questions on Teacher Loan Forgiveness, Cancellation or Deferment.

For questions about federal student aid, please call the Student Loan Support Center at 1-800-557-7394. 

School Finance Director
Dale Brungardt
(785) 296-3872

Assistant Director
Sara (Barnes) McCullah
(785) 296-3872


Questions about this page?
Katie Albright


Copyright 2024 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at gc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.