The Kansas Department of Education and the School Bus Safety Unit have been producing the Kansas Bus Emergency Support System (KBESS) book for over 35 years. This book is a state wide emergency directory for school transportation providers who need support when the school vehicle they are operating becomes disabled away from their "bus barn".
KBESS Book (PDF) revised January 6, 2023
KBESS Update Form
· It is mandatory that school districts submit three individuals who are willing to be contacted and assist in the event of an emergency. This, of course, can occur “after hours” and individuals listed must be willing to help when needed
Instructions for completing the online KBESS Update Form:
1. The individual (school district employee) who is actually completing the form enters their name, email and USD number.
2. Enter the name of the Transportation Supervisor / Director. (Note: Do not list your contractor’s name for this position. Per Kansas law this person must be a school district employee).
3. Does the district contract for route bus services? If yes, then you must complete the contractor information fields when you get to the bottom of the form.
4. Does the district contract for your special needs transportation? If yes, please enter the name for the special needs contractor only in the provided field underneath the question field.
5. If you will be entering bus route contractor information on the bottom of the form enter yes or no in the appropriate field.
6. If your district information is correct (when you checked it by using the link above), click yes and you are done; hit submit. If it is not correct, click no and continue with completing the KBESS online form.
Note: If you have an automated phone system that requires an extension number for any of your contacts, please include it with the phone number.
6. If some of your information is correct and some is not, you will need to complete the entire form as if none of the information is correct.
7. Enter your contacts in the order they should be contacted in the event an emergency arises. Your contacts must include the transportation director/supervisor, but may also include bus mechanic, superintendent, board clerk, principal, bus driver, etc.
8. Please use the additional information field to clarify any and all changes and eliminate the need for us to contact you with questions.
The KBESS online update form can be found at:
Thank you. We appreciate your immediate attention.
School Bus Safety Director
School Bus Safety Assistant Director
School Bus Training Coordinator
Senior Administrative Assistant
The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)
To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at firstname.lastname@example.org or by 785-296-3201.