The Kansas Department of Education and the School Bus Safety Unit have been producing the Kansas Bus Emergency Support System (KBESS) book for over 25 years. This book is a state wide emergency directory for school transportation providers who need support when the school vehicle they are operating becomes disabled away from their "bus barn".
2017-2018 KBESS Book (PDF) Updated 1-25-2018
KBESS Update Form used to update school contact information for the 2018-2019 KBESS Book.
Once again, it’s that time of year to update your KBESS (Kansas School Bus Emergency Support System).
It is mandatory that school districts submit three individuals who can be contacted and assist in the event of an emergency. Every school district is required to complete a KBESS update form. This must be completed online and submitted before August 3rd.
Please do not reply to this email and say nothing has changed. The update form is a computer application that populates the data for us. If you do not fill out the form, the application will show the school district did not respond to this request. If you submit incorrect information, that is what will appear in the KBESS book.
Eight mandatory fields that need to be completed for this process. To update your information please follow these steps. This information must be submitted online. Paper forms, phone calls, emails, faxes, etc. will not be accepted.
Instructions for completing the online KBESS Update Form:
1. The individual (school District employee) completing the form enters their name, email and USD number. Only one submission per school district is required.
2. Enter the name of the Transportation Supervisor / Director. Please do not list your contractor’s name for this position. It must be a school district employee per Kansas law.
3. Does the district contract for route bus services? If yes, then you must complete the contractor information fields when you get to the bottom of the form.
4. Does the district contract for your special needs transportation? If yes, please enter the name for the special needs contractor only in the provided field underneath the question field.
5. If you will be entering bus route contractor information on the bottom of the form enter yes or no
6. Check your district’s information listed in the 2017-18 KBESS book. If it is correct, click yes. If it is not correct, click no and continue with completing the KBESS online form.
Note: If you have an automated phone system that requires an extension number for any of your contacts, please include it with the phone number.
7. If some of your information is correct and some is not, you will need to complete the entire form as if none of the information is correct.
8. Enter your contacts in the order they should be contacted in the event an emergency arises. Your contacts may include the transportation director/supervisor, bus mechanic, superintendent, board clerk, principal, etc.
9. Please use the additional information field to clarify any and all changes and eliminate the need for us to contact you with questions.
Thank you. We appreciate your immediate attention.
School Bus Safety Director
School Bus Safety Assistant Director
School Bus Training Coordinator
Senior Administrative Assistant