KSDE Weekly

Feature Story

Information provided on waivers to extend number of days people can serve with substitute teaching license

Accreditation regulations authorize state-approved local education agencies (LEAs) to apply for waivers to extend the number of days an individual can serve on a substitute teaching license. 

If a state-approved LEA requires an extension to the number of days an individual can serve on a substitute license, the superintendent or designee must submit a waiver request to the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) Teacher Licensure team for approval by the Kansas State Board of Education. 

The Accreditation Licensure Waiver form is available via the common authenticated application, Form 16, here. If a superintendent or designee doesn’t have access to Form 16, he or she may request access through the “Manage My Account” feature within common authenticated applications. The superintendent is the approval authority for the application. 

Waivers for the 2023-2024 school year will open July 1.  

A request to extend the number of days an individual may serve on a substitute license must be submitted after July 1. Requests can be submitted throughout the 2023-2024 school year as the need arises, said Shane Carter, director of KSDE’s Teacher Licensure team. 

Each month, beginning in September, waivers will be submitted to the State Board of Education for review. Waivers must be submitted no later than the 15th of the previous month in order to be reviewed by the State Board the following month.  

For waiver-related questions, email the Licensure Team at tlalicense@ksde.org or via phone at 785-296-2288. 

Posted: Jun 1, 2023,
Comments: 0,
Author: Ann Bush

Theme picker

Copyright 2024 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at gc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.