Restricted Teaching License Alternative Pathway

The Restricted Teaching License Alternative Pathway is intended to respond to school districts’ needs in hiring qualified, licensed teachers. It is designed to recruit mid-career professionals who have a bachelor’s, master’s degree, or equivalent coursework in a content area they want to teach and are seeking a career change. Heritage language speakers with a bachelor’s degree or higher can also utilize the restricted licensure to teach their native languages. This pathway provides an opportunity for these individuals to have immediate access to start teaching under restricted license while completing professional education pedagogy course work to become fully licensed.
*The alternative licensure program is only available for secondary content areas and limited numbers of all level subjects.
Restricted licensure regulation (PDF)


Step One: Contact participating Kansas universities and Assess Your Eligibility

Have the university hosting the program evaluate your transcript to ensure you meet the content requirements for the subject matter you want to teach. Develop a plan of study with the alternative certification program staff. Program length may vary depending on the institution.

Alternative Route Program Contact List

Eligibility-(Must meet all eligibility requirements)

  1. A Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited university,
  2. The degree or equivalent coursework must be in a regular education content area you want to teach, OR be a heritage language speaker,
  3. A GPA of 2.75 from the last 60 semester credits hours of college coursework completed,
  4. A passing score for the Praxis II content assessment in the content area, AND
  5. A supervised practical training experience must be completed under the collaboration of the supporting institution and hiring school district before restricted teaching license can be issued. 

Step Two: Locate and apply for a teaching position

Locate and apply for a teaching position by visiting Kansas Education Employment Board. Contact the employer and inquire if a restricted license is appropriate for the position.

Step Three: Apply for the Restricted License

The application process is a coordinated effort with sections completed by the individual, the school district hiring the individual, and the higher education institution providing the course work. Once the license is issued, you will teach full-time while completing the required professional education course work towards full licensure.

Step Four: Progress report

A progress report must be submitted every year verifying that appropriate progress has been made towards a full license. The restricted license will be canceled if you do not make appropriate progress.

Step Five: Apply for a full Kansas license

The institution will recommend for a full Kansas license after you successfully complete all of the coursework and testing (content and pedagogy) requirements on the plan of study.

Benedictine College

Dr. Christi Adams 
Phone: 913-360-7367
Title: Chair, School of Education

Emporia State University

Russell Swanson 
Phone: 620-341-5737
Title: Restricted Licensure Program Lead

Fort Hays State University

Kerry Schuckman 
Phone: 785-628-4542
Title: Alternative Route Contact

Kansas State University

Mr. TJ Duntz 
Phone: 785-532-5524

MidAmerica Nazarene University

Dr. Jill Gonzalez-Bravo 
Phone: 913-971-3548

Pittsburg State University

Amanda Hill 
Phone: 620-235-6153
Title: Alternative Route Contact

Wichita State University

Dr. Jim Granada
Phone: 316-978-6298
Title: Alternative Route Director

Office/Building Hours:
M-F 8am - 5pm

Send all mail to:

Attention: Teacher Licensure
900 S.W. Jackson Street, Suite 102
Topeka, KS 66612-1212Licensure Operator

Click here for the Teacher Licensure Directory

Restricted Licensure Consultant
Joe Midgley 



Copyright 2024 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at or by 785-296-3201.