Kansas State Department of Education

KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

Endorsement Requirements

What do I need to do to add a new teaching endorsement to my teaching license?

Option 1: Add a teaching endorsement by passing the appropriate content assessment.  Early childhood unified, elementary education and special education (adaptive, functional, gifted, deaf or hard of hearing and visually impaired) CANNOT be added by testing only.
For information on the required test, test review, and registering for a test go to ETS
Option 2: Complete an approved program for the new teaching endorsement. When the program is completed, the appropriate content test must also be passed before you can submit an application for the added endorsement.  Contact a college or university that offers an approved program in the teaching endorsement area you are seeking. Review the list of institutions offering the approved program and contact the licensure officer at the institution of choice for a plan of study. If you are adding an endorsement for early childhood unified, elementary education or special education, you MUST follow option 2.

What do I need to do to get licensed as a school specialist or school leader?

Work with a college or university to complete an approved, graduate level program. You must hold a professional teaching license to be eligible to complete a program for reading specialist and school library media specialist. Leadership licenses require a minimum of three years of accredited experience. Review the list of institutions offering the approved program and contact the licensure officer at the institution of choice for a plan of study.  

Can I start teaching in the new teaching endorsement area before I complete the program?  Can I accept an assignment as a school specialist before I complete the program?

You may qualify for a provisional teaching endorsement license or for a provisional school specialist license.  You may accept an assignment if you qualify. 

Requirements for a Provisional License



I have already completed all the requirements for a new license field.  How do I apply?



Completed a Kansas program?

Contact the Licensure Officer at your Kansas institution for the appropriate application form and to coordinate the application process

Completed an out-of-state program?

Passed the appropriate Praxis II content test to add a new teaching endorsement?



Office/Building Hours:
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Send all mail to:

Attention: Teacher Licensure
900 S.W. Jackson Street, Suite 102
Topeka, KS 66612-1212

Licensure Operator 

(785) 296-2288

Copyright 2023 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)

The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)

To accommodate people with disabilities, on request, auxiliary aides and services will be provided and reasonable modifications to policies and programs will be made. To request accommodations or for more information please contact the Office of General Counsel at gc@ksde.org or by 785-296-3201.