Summary: All members and staff (funded in whole or in part by CNCS federal funds) must have background checks. All checks must include the Kansas State Criminal History Registry at the Kansas Bureau of Investigation (and the CNCS approved state registry for out of state checks) . All checks must include the web site of the National Sex Offender Public Registry. Any members or CNCS funded staff with recurring access to children under 17, anyone over 60 and the disabled must have an FBI national fingerprint check, which can be run through the Kansas Bureau of Investigation. The fingerprint check is IN ADDITION to the preceding two checks.
NOTE: The approximate cost to do the state criminal history check and the FBI check through the Kansas Bureau of Investigation is approximately 50.00. In addition programs must find a local law enforcement agency who will take the fingerprints. However, the first step of having fingprint checks is to obtain a memorandum of understanding with the KBI, do not simply send prints in without this
. Secondly if you obtain cards from the KBI for the prints you are much more likely to obtain an acceptable set of prints.
For the most current information on Background Checks see the CNCS webpage here:
. Note the updated list of approved state criminal history repositories.
Powerpoint on Background Checks
Helpful Background Check Documents
Please Consult the Program Directors Handbook for Further Clarification:
Index of background check pages in Program Directors' Handbook:
- criminal background checks page 38
- w/o recurring access to a vulnerable population page 40
- with recurring access to a vulnerable population page 41
- national FBI fingerprint process page 43
- Kansas Bureau of Investigation program initiated process page 45
- Kansas Bureau of Investigaton faqs page 49
- Federal Bureau of Investigation -member initiated process page 51
- FBI fingerprint checks frequently asked questions page 54
- minimize your risk through national service criminal history checks page 57
- requests for approval of alternative criminal hsitory checks search procedures page 60