The purpose of the Kansas State Special Education Advisory Council is to provide policy guidance to the State Board of Education with respect to special education and related services for children with disabilities in the state. The Council meets as mandated by both the State and Federal Legislation. Council membership is made up of stakeholders throughout the state with the majority being individuals with disabilities and parents of children with disabilities. The State Board of Education makes the appointments to vacated positions on the Council during the month of June each year.
Public Input Ground Rules
The following are procedures to follow when providing public input to the State Special Education Advisory Council. Your input can be verbal or written.
Submitting Written Public Comments
- The public may submit comments in written form to be read by the chairperson and/or distributed at Special Education Advisory Council (SEAC) meetings during the public input session, if unable to present in person.
- Written comments can be submitted via email, mail, or fax to the chairperson or State Educational Agency and received at least three business days prior to the scheduled meeting. Any written comments submitted after that time will be read and/or distributed at a later SEAC meeting.
- Written input must include the name, address and county of residence of the person submitting comment. Specific issues about a particular student should be addressed to the Kansas State Department of Education, Special Education Services Team rather than the SEAC.
Your written comments will be taken under advisement by the panel. If anyone needs special assistance to participate in the public input session, every effort will be made to provide the accommodation. When requesting accommodations for public input, please allow no less than three business days notice prior to the scheduled meeting.
Submitting Verbal Public Comment
- In person, only through prior notification to the Council Administrative Assistant
- The public (non panel members) should sit in the guest section.
- Refer to the panel agenda for the designated time period to provide public input.
- The limit for verbal comments is five minutes. You will be given a verbal cue one minute before your time is up. With prior agreement of the SEAC Chairperson, a statement may be extended beyond five minutes.
- You will be asked to share your name, organization, and topic.
- Please keep your comments factual and objective.
- Avoid using names of students or staff members. If your issue is relating to a specific issue with your child, remember you have a right to request mediation, file a complaint with the Kansas State Department of Education, or request a due process hearing. For more information, talk with your local school district director.
- Your comments will be taken under advisement by the panel.
- Through e-mail to SEAC Council Secretary
- Through fax 785-296-6715
Emailed and faxed comments will be shared at a designated time, during regularly scheduled meetings.