From time to time, the Kansas State Department of Education is asked to recommend educators who meet specific criteria for various award programs. In order to respond to requests in a timely manner, the Department has established a KSDE Recognition Programs Bank of distinguished elementary and secondary teachers and principals who serve as potential candidates for recognition programs. These education leaders are identified through your recommendations.
We invite you to recommend distinguished elementary or secondary building-based teachers, principals or assistant principals, and specialists who are early- to mid-career and meet all of the criteria listed below.
· Educators with exceptional educational talent as evidenced by effective instructional practices and student learning results in the classroom and school.
· Educators who demonstrate exemplary educational accomplishments beyond the classroom that provide models of excellence for the profession.
· Educators whose contributions to education are largely unheralded, yet worthy of the spotlight.
· Early- to mid-career educators who offer strong long-range potential for professional and policy leadership.
· Educators who possess an engaging and inspiring presence that motivates and impacts students, colleagues, and the community.
This year, we are particularly interested in secondary educators in grades 6-12. For teachers, early- to mid-career is between 5 and 18 years of experience. For principals, early- to mid-career is in the first 10 years as an administrator with no more than 20 years total experience. Educators with bachelor’s degrees in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s are not eligible. Educators should have the potential to remain in the profession for 25 more years.
Please provide confidential, descriptive, and specific information about your candidates on the enclosed form. This must remain a confidential process, but you may employ creative ways in which to obtain the requested information about candidates. You must submit the following items for each recommended candidate:
· KSDE Recognition Programs Bank Candidate Recommendation Form;
· Candidate’s resume that includes at least the individual’s education, work experience, professional contributions, awards, and professional memberships; and
· Letter explaining how the candidate meets the criteria.
Complete information must be sent to—
KSDE Recognition Programs Bank
Communications and Recognition Programs Team
Kansas State Department of Education
120 SE 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1182
Candidates may be recommended at any time during the year; however, for awards next fall, recommendations must be submitted by
The KSDE Recognition Programs Bank is not used to obtain potential candidates for the Kansas Teacher of the Year, Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science and Mathematics Teaching, and the Kansas Cable Telecommunications Horizon Award programs. Each of these programs administered by the Kansas State Department of Education has its own nomination process.
We urge you to take the time to recommend a candidate. If necessary, please assign the request to an associate. Your candidate may be chosen for prestigious recognition that will benefit the individual, the school, and the community. Your cooperation and assistance is greatly appreciated.
KSDE Recognition Programs Bank Candidate Recommendation Form