Kansas State Department of Education KSDE FaceBook link KSDE Twitter link Contact KSDE

Alcohol & Drug Testing Information

When accepting job applications for prospective school bus drivers your job application should include a 10 year prior history and you must check the person’s CDL drug and alcohol testing history with any previous employer (required to do testing) who employed the person during the previous two years. (49 CRF Part 40)

Per KAR 91-38-6, a governing body shall not employ or retain to transport students any person who discloses or whose driving record indicates that, within the past 10 years, the person has been convicted of DUI.

The school district must get the prospective employee’s written consent to seek the information from these employers. The person must list all previous and current employers within the last two years. If the person doesn’t list previous employers or refuses to sign the consent form, you cannot allow the person drive for you. The consent must be a specific release authorizing the new employer to receive testing information from a specific former or current employer about a specific employee. A separate release form for each past employer in the previous two years is required.

Sample Consent for Alcohol and Drug Testing  (May be printed on School District Letterhead)

If the prospective employee has had a failure of an alcohol and or drug test AT ANY TIME in the past the prospective employee is not eligible to drive a school bus until this individual completes a SAP (Substance Abuse Program) return-to-duty requirements in 49 CFR Part 40.

After successfully completing the SAP requirements, the employee may be eligible to return to driving a school bus. But, before an employer can return the person to driving a school bus, a SAP must determine that the employee successfully complied with the recommended treatment and education. The employee must then have a return-to-duty test and the test result must be negative.

The SAP will also develop the employee’s follow-up testing plan – outlining for the employer the number and frequency of follow-up testing that will take place.

You are then responsible for ensuring that the employee is tested according to the SAP’s follow-up plan. These tests can be for drugs or alcohol or both.

The SAP must direct at least 6 follow-up tests in the first 12 months after the person returns safety-sensitive duties. However, the SAP can direct more tests and may extend them for up to five years.
School Bus Contract Providers should be aware of their requirements under FMCSRs (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations).

Your alcohol and drug testing contract provider (if you are using one) should be able to help you locate a SAP provider.

School Districts are not exempt the requirements of Alcohol and Drug Testing as set forth in 49 CFR Part 40.

Medical Self-Certification

Medical Certification is part of the CDL, any person applying for a CDL on or after January 30, 2012 must certify with the State's Driver's License Agency to one of four categories:

  1. Non-excepted interstate. I certify that I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, and I am both subject to and meet the qualification requirements under 49 CFR part 391, and I am required to obtain a medical examiner's certificate by 49 CFR §391.45.
  2. Excepted interstate. I certify that I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, but engage exclusively in transportation or operations excepted under 49 CFR §§390.3(f), 391.2, 391.68 or 398.3 from all or parts of the qualification requirements of 49 CFR part 391, and I am therefore not required to obtain a medical examiner’s certificate by 49 CFR §391.45.
  3. Non-excepted intrastate. I certify that I operate only in intrastate commerce and therefore I am subject to and meet the State’s driver medical qualification requirements.
  4. Excepted intrastate. I certify that I operate in intrastate commerce, but engage exclusively in transportation or operations excepted from all or parts of the State’s driver medical qualification by K.S.A. 66-1,129.
  • CDL holders can check their status and purchase a copy of their driving record using the Kansas Department of Revenue's Kansas Driver's License Status Check website. The CDL holder can also email: medical.certification@kdor.ks.gov  to check their medical self-certification and someone will respond to their request. The MVR or driving record will only show a certified status for the drivers who selected Category 1 and are required to carry the DOT card. For individuals selecting category #2 it will show N/A.
  • A driver can change from a category 1 to a category 2 or vice versa at any time by using the on-line or paper form.
  • The Kansas Department of Revenue has advised us that after your initial self-certification you will have to recertify when:


    1.       Anytime you change categories.

    2.       Anytime you renew your CDL.

    3.       Anytime you upgrade your CDL class. (go from a class B to a class A)

    4.       Anytime you add endorsements to your CDL

    5.       Anytime your medical card expires if you are a category 1.

    It is important for CDL holders to understand which category they fall into.

You may certify using the Kansas Department of Revenue on-line certification form.
Kansas Department of Revenue on-line Certification Form

You may also certify using a paper form http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/cdl_med_cert.pdf 
and mailing or faxing to:

Driver Licensing
Attn: Medical Certification
P.O. Box 2188
Topeka, KS 66601
Fax: 785-296-5859
Email  kdor_medical.certification@ks.gov  

Click on links below for more information:

Frequently Asked Questions About Medical Self Certification
(Kansas Department of Revenue)

Medical Certificate part of CDL (PDF)


Per K.A.R. 91-38-6, the physical requirement shall be those found in the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulation 49 C.F.R. 391.41 which states .“A person subject to this part must not operate a commercial motor vehicle (in our case a school/activity bus and or school vehicle) unless he or she is medically certified as physically qualified to do so”. The Kansas Department of Education is committed to having Kansas School/Activity Bus and or School Vehicle Drivers be medically certified and physically qualified and has no intention of deviating from this requirement.

School/Activity Bus Drivers and School Vehicle Drivers, who are employed by a school district and have not declared category #1 or #3  on their medical self-certification may use the exception for government entities found in 49 CFR 390.3 and have their family physician or other medical examiner of their choice, who is not on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners perform the physical. Please continue to use the FMCSA Medical Applications and Forms for these physicals. We have also developed a Doctor Notification to help drivers with this exemption.

391.41 Regulation

Doctor Notification

Federal Medical Examiners Report 649-F (6045) (PDF)

Federal Medical Examiner Report MCSA 5875 (PDF)

Federal Medical Examiners Certificate (PDF)

Federal Medical Examiners Certificate MCSA 5876 (PDF)

Medical Examiner’s Certification Integration; Final Rule effective June 22,2015

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Physical

National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners FAQs

Find a Certified Medical Examiner 
(This link also contains information for Doctors on how to be part of the National Registry)

Driver Medical Fitness for Duty

Find a medical examiner
Download Forms 

Frequently Asked Questions about Driver Medical Requirements

Medications and Commercial Driving

Information for drivers with missing or impaired limbs

Information for drivers with Diabetes or Visual Impairments 

Kansas Physical Waiver Information (PDF)

Kansas Motor Carrier Website which contains guidance documents from the National Trucking Association on sleep apnea and choosing a medical examiner.


Commercial Drivers License

An "S" endorsement is required on a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) for the operation of a school bus.  To obtain the endorsement you will have to pass a "S" endorsement knowledge test and a road test in a school bus representative of the type of school bus you will be driving.  If you don't already have the "P" endorsement, you will have to pass the "P" endorsement knowledge test. 

Kansas Department of Revenue Driver Control maintains driving records and processess changes to driving privileges such as restrictions, suspensions, revoked licenses and reinstated licenses.  Driver Control can assist you with the following regarding Kansas drivers' licenses or driving records:

  • Address Change Online
  • Copies of Driving Records Online
  • Forms Online
  • Frequently asked questions on moving violations, convictions, accidents or proof of insurance
  • How to read and view Kansas Driving Records
  • Information on ignition interlock devices
  • Click on the link below for more information and individual web links

Kansas Department of Revenue

Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) 49 CFR 383.25

Free Kansas Department of Revenue Drivers License/CDL status check website

Medical Self-Certification Changes  Kansas Department of Revenue on-line Certification Form

Kansas Commercial Drivers License Manual posted on the Kansas Department of Revenue website
Kansas CDL Manual (PDF)

Classes of CDL, Endorsements and Restrictions (PDF)

14 Passenger Bus Document (PDF)

Kansas Department of Revenue
Driver's License and ID Card Services by County 

Tuberculosis Testing

K.S.A. 72-5213 requires employees of the school district, who come in regular contact with the pupils of the school district, to submit a certification of health and this certificate shall establish the employee is free from tuberculosis.

Kansas Department of Health & Environment Tuberculosis Control Program

Certification of Health for School Personnel (PDF) -- This form is to be completed by the applicant, or employee, and signed by a Licensed Physician stating that the individual has been tested for Tuberculoses pursuant to K.S.A. 72-5213. 

School Bus Safety Director
Keith Dreiling
785-296-6659 (fax)

School Bus Safety Assistant Director
Dennis Tate

Training Coordinator 
Melissa Ostermeyer

Senior Administrative Assistant
Wilma Crabtree

Upcoming Events

Copyright 2017 by Kansas State Department of Education | 900 SW Jackson St. | Topeka, KS 66612 Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  System Maintenance Notices  |  Open Records (PDF)
The Kansas State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. (more information...)