WHO NEEDS A BACKGROUND CHECK?
- Any applicant applying for their first Kansas license.
- Any applicant whose Kansas certificate/license has expired.
A background clearance is valid for six months. Applications for licensure submitted six months after the background clearance report is received will require a new fingerprint card submission.
You must use the Kansas preformatted card (FBI, FD258). Only one card is required.
1. Fill out the card:
- Complete name (including aliases, maiden, previous married), mailing address, social security number, citizenship, and personal information (sex, race, height, weight, eyes, hair, place of birth, date of birth).
- DO NOT SIGN THE CARD YET - this will be done in front of the law enforcement officer.
The spaces for OCA, FBI, and MNU numbers may be left blank if you do not have one of those
- Cards with missing or incomplete information will be rejected.
2. Have your prints taken: (A qualified law enforcement officer must take your fingerprints)
- Take the filled out card to your local police station or sheriff’s office.
- Take at least one form of picture identification with you.
- Some law enforcement agencies may charge a fee to take your prints.
- Sign the card in front of the officer taking your prints.
- Digital prints are accepted as long as they are in the FD258 format.
3. Background check fee:
- Prepare check or money order for $50.00 made payable to KSDE.
- DO NOT SEND CASH.
- The $50.00 for the background check must be submitted as a separate payment from the application fee that is submitted with the license application. Do not combine the background fee and the application fee.
- A card submitted without the background check fee of $50.00 will not be processed.
4. Mail the card and the fee:
- Place adequate postage on an envelope addressed to Teacher Education and Licensure, KSDE, 900 SW Jackson Street, Suite 106, Topeka, KS 66612-1212.
- Request the law enforcement agency performing the fingerprinting process to place the card along with your $50.00 background check fee in the envelope, seal it and mail it.
- Bent or folded cards will not be accepted and a new fingerprint card will be mailed to you for prints to be taken again.